Outstanding plays of Patricia Kopatchinskaja. Three masterpieces by Galina Ustvolskaya
Amazon.com Customer Review
23 of 23 people found the following review helpful
Outstanding plays of Patricia Kopatchinskaja. Three masterpieces by Galina Ustvolskaya, November 13, 2014
Sorry, English isn't my native language.
Galina Ustvolskaya (1919-2006)
Sonata for violin and piano (1952) 22:35
Trio for clarinet, violin and piano (1949)
I Espressivo 6:07
II Dolce 3:56
III Energico 6:08
Duet for violin and piano (1964) 29:20
Patricia Kopatchinskaja, violin
Markus Hinterhäuser, piano
Reto Bieri, clarinet
Produced by Manfred Eicher
Recorded March 2013
ECM New Series 2329
These are three masterpieces written by Galina Ustvolskaya (1919-2006).
- Sonata for violin and piano (1952)
It has a single movement.
It begins with funny five notes played by violin `A-flat E-flat A-flat A-flat E-flat', that run though the whole of the sonata, on the other hand it begins with complex polyphonic notes on piano, the latter is like basso continuo, so that I can hear them as parodies of baroque music in irony (e.g. parodies of Bach's Violin Sonatas). These melodies are developed into ethnic music. The sonata relatively keeps calm and simple, until the polyphonic and accelerated music begins at 13' 50", and it quietly closes, while the violinist knocks on the body of the violin (from 21'13"). Both the simple and complex music live with in the sonata. In it there are dialogues between violin and piano. Patricia Kopatchinskaja and Markus Hinterhäuser did them well. Good job!
- Trio for clarinet, violin and piano (1949)
The first movement
It quietly begins with clarinet and piano. Then `Forte' from 1'21" with heavy polyphony of the three parts. Then from 4'00" quietly again and from 5'14" into a night music.
The second movement
A night music mostly by clarinet and violin.
The third movement
Fugato begins `Energico', that is energetically by piano. The violin repeats it incompletely, that is, the violin repeats it with a little different melody of the theme of Fugato. Then from 1'10" clarinet leads ethnic music. Then from 2'36" slows down and the theme of the Fugato is repeated by clarinet, violin and piano in order (3'06"). From 4'29" begins monolog by piano, striking same keys repeatedly, calms down at last.
They say Shostakovich quoted some melodies of this work into his works.
- Duet for violin and piano (1964)
A hot music of a single movement.
You can hear it like a musical joke with the special ways of playing, that sound like col legno (striking the string with the stick of the bow), flagioletto tones on violin and cluster tones on piano. It's an abstract music like an abstract picture. It isn't a program music. It's an abstract music but it has the nature of aggression against the USSR she was living and the violence and destructiveness like punk rock. The repetition of same melodies like Morton Feldman and the technical skill like John Cage, but Ustvolskaya had no `culture'. However this work may be entertainment. It's an avant-garde music of the old age. And Patricia Kopatchinskaja (born 1977 in Republic of Moldova), who is a popular and young violinist, plays it cool. It's nice to listen to, that a modern artist plays an old avant-garde music. Though Ustvolskaya might stick to being `minor', but she might not stick to being avant-garde, nor an outsider. And `Duet for violin and piano (1964)' might be both pessimistic and optimistic. And you can regard this work as an ultimately optimistic music, though I'm `scared' of this work. It also calms down at last.
Kopatchinskaja has made outstanding plays in this album.
Ustvolskaja: Sonata, Trio, Duet Patricia Kopatchinskaja, violin Markus Hinterhäuser, piano Reto Bieri, clarinet Amazon.co.jp
- ガリーナ・ウストヴォーリスカヤの「Composition No. 2 "Dies irae" 」ほか(2012.12.12)
- Outstanding plays of Patricia Kopatchinskaja. Three masterpieces by Galina Ustvolskaya(2017.03.17)
- GÉNIA: UNVEILED / Music from Russia's Women Composers(2016.10.16)
- パトリツィア（パトリシア）・コパチンスカヤ、マルクス・ヒンターホイザー、レート・ビエリの「ガリーナ・ウストヴォーリスカヤ：ヴァイオリン・ソナタ (1952)、クラリネット、ヴァイオリン、ピアノのための三重奏曲 (1949)、ピアノとヴァイオリンのためのデュエット (1964)」(2014.11.04)
- ショパン：ポロネーズ集 イリーナ・メジューエワ（ピアノ）(2017.04.16)
- (C) Apple Music Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 - Gubaidulina: In tempus praesens, Simone Lamsma, Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, James Gaffigan & Reinbert de Leeuw(2017.03.23)
- 【Apple Music】 ナタリー・デセイのシューベルト：歌曲集を試聴(2017.03.26)
- (C) Apple Music ピアノ愛奏曲集 中村芙悠子（なかむらふゆこ）／美人であるだけではだめ／リスナーは甘くない(2017.04.27)
- 【Apple Music で、またまた節約】 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Don Giovanni Sherrill Milnes, Anna Tomowa-Sintow, Peter Schreier, Edith Mathis, Wiener Philharmoniker / Karl Böhm(2017.04.27)